Questions remain over rig worker's death

MORE than a month after a young worker died at a Santos operation on a platform in Fairview, Queensland, information is only just starting to trickle out to the media.
Questions remain over rig worker's death Questions remain over rig worker's death Questions remain over rig worker's death Questions remain over rig worker's death Questions remain over rig worker's death

Santos made mention of the fatality in its June quarterly report, but did not notify the media at the time of the incident.

Following *EnergyNewsBulletin's inquiries into the death late last week, a Department of Natural Resources and Mines spokesman said petroleum and gas inspectors were investigating the fatality.

All drilling company operators in Queensland had been alerted about the fatality, he said, and urged to check their safety controls for the operation of equipment similar to that involved in this incident.

"An employee of a drilling company died after being crushed by equipment on the platform of a well rig operating in the Fairview field, 65km from Injune," the spokesman said.

"Operations on the rig and two others in the area were suspended, along with another rig operated by the company in South West Queensland, while safety procedures were assessed.

"This fatality is subject to an ongoing investigation by Queensland government petroleum and gas inspectors, who will prepare a report for the state coroner to consider."

The spokesman said it was unclear how long the investigation would take.

In response to EnergyNews breaking the story on Friday, and particularly questions about why the death had not been reported to mainstream media, a Santos spokesman said both companies addressed questions posed by journalists.

"Both companies provided formal and official statements, in writing and verbally, to all media [small regional press] who contacted us at the time," the Santos spokesman said in an email to EnergyNews.

"We do make judgements every day as to whether an issue requires broad dissemination to the media, and in relation to an incident this is often dependent on whether there is ongoing risk to either the community or the environment."

Another Santos spokesman said the company felt this was the best way to handle the event at the time.

He said the question of why it was not pursued by other media outlets was a question for those media outlets.

Saxon Energy Services, which operates the platform, has yet to respond to questions from EnergyNews.

*ENB is affiliated to PNGIndustryNews.net.

loader
  • NEW: Digital version of PNG Report magazine - View here
  • Porgera: Barrick-PNG talks go on - Read more
  • Follow the companies investing in the PNG market - Read more

Most read Regions