Oil Search shaken but not stirred

OIL Search has bounced back from the disruptions caused by the earthquake which struck Papua New Guinea in February with general manager Robbert de Weijer saying the company will continue to pursue opportunities in the coming year.
Oil Search shaken but not stirred Oil Search shaken but not stirred Oil Search shaken but not stirred Oil Search shaken but not stirred Oil Search shaken but not stirred

Oil Search’s Robbert de Weijer speaks at the PNG Mining and Petroleum Investment conference. Courtesy Oil Search.

Staff Reporter

Speaking at the PNG Mining and Petroleum Investment conference in Sydney last week, de Weijer said the company was one of few which had the ability to respond rapidly to the disaster and took on the role of ‘first responder' to local communities.
 
"Our initial response was to ensure all our people were safe and to initiate a range of activities as a first responder. Then we were able to manage our operational recovery which we did by establishing a dedicated team to develop a detailed plan to get us back to business as usual," he said.
 
"We attended to the needs of the communities and provided our Moro logistical base as a coordination hub for delivery and the distribution of aid.
 
"Splitting the workload during the recovery phase meant we had dedicated teams focused on relief efforts, operated facilities and business as usual activities," he said.
 
This included re-establishing gas supply to the PNG LNG project on a priority basis and gradually increasing oil production as facilities were repaired and recommissioned.
 
In addition to expanding its LNG projects, Oil Search has identified other opportunities to extend the production life of its PNG oil fields with potential to extend plateau oil production until 2023-24, adding a net amount of about 30 million barrels.
 
The 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck Hela province on February 26.

 

topics

loader